Information Technology: Technical Support
|The purpose of this qualification is to build a foundational entry into the field of Computer Sciences and Information Technology, specifically into the field of Systems Support, covering basic knowledge needed for further study in the field of Systems Support at Higher Education Levels.
The qualification can be acquired in the traditional way of formal study as well as in the workplace, through learnerships. Acquiring the qualification through learnerships has the potential of addressing the problems of the past, where newly qualified people getting into the industry struggled to get employment, because they were required to have practical experience. The workplace experience can now be gained while acquiring the qualification through the various learnership schemes that are planning to use this qualification.
A Qualifying learner at this level will be a well-rounded entry-level Systems Support professional with a good fundamental knowledge of the Information Technology field, coupled with interpersonal and business skills, allowing for specialisation in one of the following Systems Support fields:
· Hardware and Infrastructure Support for Personal Computers
· Hardware and Infrastructure Support for Office Products
· Data Communications and Networking
· (and any new field not specified yet, allowing for new specialisations in this area)
The qualification is designed to:
· Provide learners with an entry level for further study in Information Technology and related fields, as well as for initial employment in the computer industry.
· Allow many of the listed unit standards to be used in Learnership Schemes in the Information Systems and Technology sector, as well as other sectors where Information Technology is a key requirement.
· Provide a foundational qualification for people who are pursuing a career in the computer industry, or related fields. People with this qualification have an introductory level of understanding about computer industry concepts and/or are able to work in areas of Information Technology with little technical complexity. Examples of the areas covered are entry-level hardware, software, electronics and network support, on mainly (but not limited to) desktop and hand-held devices and local area networks.
· Allow the credits achieved in the National Certificates in Information Technology (Level 2 & 3) to be used as foundation (i.e. learning assumed to be in place) for the requirements of this qualification.
· Have a flexible structure to allow for changing requirements in the computer industry, and to allow providers to create learning programmes with a predominantly Information Technology Support component but tailored to meet the local, national or international needs.
In particular, people credited with this unit standard will be able to:
- Communicate effectively with fellow IT staff & users of information systems.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of different types of computer systems and the use of computer technology in business.
3. Demonstrate an understanding of problem solving techniques, and how to apply them in a technical environment.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of Computer Technology Principles.
5. Select and use materials and equipment safely for technological purposes.
6. Work effectively as a team member within a support team.
7. Carry out, under supervision, a small size task to demonstrate knowledge of techniques & skills needed in one or more of the following areas of majoring/specialisation:
- Hardware and Infrastructure Support for Personal Computers
- Hardware and Infrastructure Support for Office Products
- Data Communications and Network SupportIn addition to the above, unit standards will be utilised to provide depth of specification of the outcomes ranges and the assessment criteria and processes.
TYPE OF PROGRAMME:
- Full time
The learner is required to have a minimum of Grade 12.
All learning material included in tuition fees.
Qualification Fee: R18050
On successful completion of qualification, the learner will receive a certificate
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Skill level 4
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate No
- Assessments Yes