Poultry | Level 1
The qualification provides learners with the opportunity to gain competence in poultry production and will facilitate their securing employment in the industry. For those who are already employed in a poultry production farm, the multi-skilling that the qualification offers will expand their horizons and allow them to follow career paths in other sectors of the industry.
The qualification is designed to provide a structured learning path for employees in the Poultry Production industry in South Africa, be they in the employ of commercial farms or as entrepreneurs.
The qualification would enable employees to move within the poultry industry, between the fields of Production and Processing.
This Qualification will articulate vertically with the:
National Certificate: Abattoir Slaughtering Processes at NQF Level 2.
National Certificate: General Abattoir Processes at NQF Level 2.
While the Production and Processing qualifications diverge as they progress upwards, there remains sufficient common ground for holders of one qualification to be able to be employed in the other field with minimum additional training.
TYPE OF PROGRAMME
- Full time
The learner is required to have a minimum of Grade 10. Must able to speak and write in English.
All learning material included in tuition fee.
Course Fee: R13 140.00
- The structures of the poultry egg and meat industries are described.
- The important role that the poultry industry plays in the provision of meat for the South African population is described.
- The reasons for the implementation of health and safety in a poultry production facility are explained.
- The responsibilities of the employer and employee to ensure a safe working environment are described.
- The functioning and movement of the body parts are explained.
- The process of blood circulation and breathing are described.
- The digestion of feed is described.
- The raw materials that are used in the production of poultry feed are described.
- The various types of feed and the importance of using the bio-security principles for the prevention of feed wastage are explained.
- The danger that the microscopic organisms pose to the health of poultry is explained.
- The bio-security procedures to minimize the occurrence of pathogens on the poultry farm are described.
- The necessity of water for the body functions and health of poultry is described.
- The various poultry drinkers, their setting and maintenance is demonstrated.
- The effect that temperature extremes have on the health and growth of poultry is explained.
- The importance of ventilation for the health of poultry and the reduction of ammonia formation in the poultry house are described.
- The effects of photoperiods on the productivity and sexual maturity of poultry are described.
- The pre-cleaning procedures and removal of all loose equipment are described.
- The washing and disinfecting of the equipment surfaces in the poultry house are demonstrated.
- The re-installation of all the loose equipment and the fumigation of the poultry house are explained.
- The various indications of “disease” and abnormalities in the behaviour of poultry are described.
- The objectives of vaccination and the various methods of administration are explained.
On successful completion of course, the learner will receive a certificate
The information provided may vary or change at the discretion of Eskilz College. Eskilz College will formally notify learners of any changes or variations.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 18 Months
- Skill level 1
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Yes