The purpose of the FETC Municipal Finance and Administration Qualification at Level 4 is to provide a structured program for municipal officials that work with senior management officials so as to provide support to strategic leadership and management needed to transform all spheres of government. The need for well-qualified efficient, client-oriented public officials is therefore identified as a priority in all the three spheres of government. The FETC: Municipal Finance and Administration is aimed at practitioners working in or wishing to work in the Municipal sector. It is a Qualification in a career pathway towards an accomplished municipal financial management specialist.
The FETC in Municipal Finance and Administration, consists of exit level learning outcomes, covering municipal accounting, administration, budgeting, computing, quantitative calculations, human resource management and legislative framework for the public sector. The competencies covered in the proposed unit standards encapsulate the competencies required by public officials working at the operational level (technical support staff in municipalities).
The Qualification will therefore enhance the ability of the qualifying learner as a municipal finance official to perform the necessary financial administration tasks. In this way, the Qualification enhances transferability of skills within different spheres of the public sector. At the same time, a learner will gain a firm foundation required for studies leading to Qualifications registered at NQF levels 5 (diploma), 6 and 7. All these enhance transferability of skills between the private and public sector.
With regard to the implementation of municipal financial management reforms, the Qualification serves, as a basis of an effective implementation process by defining and identifying those competencies required by technical public officials. The possession of relevant knowledge, skills and attitude by technical municipal officials is crucial to the implementation of municipal financial management reforms.
This Qualification articulates horizontally with the following Qualifications:
49129: “Further Education and Training Certificate: Management and Administration”, NQF Level 4.
48960: “Further Education and Training Certificate: Social Security Administration”, NQF Level 4.
35928: “National Certificate: Business Administration Services”, NQF Level 4.
23235: “National Certificate: Business Studies: Administration: FET Phase”, NQF Level 4.
35927: “National Certificate: Payroll Administration Services”, NQF Level 4.
Vertical articulation is possible with the following Qualifications:
49554: “National Diploma: Public Finance Management and Administration”, NQF Level 5.
49126: “National Certificate: Management and Administration”, NQF Level 5.
50060: “National Certificate: Public Administration”, NQF Level 5.
35926: “National Diploma: Payroll Administration Services”, NQF Level 5.
- Full time
Learner is required to have a minimum Grade 12. Must able to speak and write in English.
All learning material included in tuition fee.
- The Public Finance Management Act and the Municipal Finance Management Act are explained and applied appropriately to different financial problems within a municipality.
- The regulations governing the Division of Revenue among different spheres of government are applied to the simulated and real financial situation.
- The fundamental aspects of the organization and operation of South Africa’s legal system are identified and explained with examples.
- Essential elements required to establish and discharge valid contracts are identified and explained according to the appropriate public sector environment with examples.
- Human recourses legislation is explained and applied in a municipal environment according to labour legislation requirements.
- Employee health, safety and security administration is implemented in the workplace.
- The various elements of a municipal accounting system and accounting information system are described and applied in own work context.
- The principles of budgeting for the preparation of municipal budgets are applied and integrated into own work context.
- A municipal budgeting and financial reporting cycle is explained with examples.
- Accrual accounting procedures are applied to account for accruals and prepayments.
- Cost-Volume-Profit analysis is conducted in the management of municipal revenue and costs.
- How costs and revenue behave in different operations of a municipality is explained with practical examples.
- A schedule of relevant costs and revenue to support a decision making process is compiled in own work context.
- Revenue variances are determined for different sources of municipal revenue.
- A management information system and how it impacts on a municipality is explained with examples.
- Features and opportunities of commonly used IT systems are explained with examples.
- The value and cost of information is described and evaluated with practical workplace examples.
- The importance of a management information system in the management of municipal finances and administration is described with examples.
- A management information system is implemented according to municipality requirements and the context of the specific workplace.
- Self-development principles practiced according to their own and organizational requirements.
- Municipal financial projects are planned, executed, controlled and closed according to the project plan and scope.
- Management principles are applied to self, team members and projects using accepted management techniques to enhance deliverables.
- The administrative systems within a municipality are explained with examples.
- Administrative information is maintained at the required level of confidentiality in own work context.
- The principles of information systems are integrated into administrative and record keeping functions.
- Municipal administrative procedures and principles are utilized to manage records within a municipal information system.
On successful completion of course, the learner will receive a certificate
The information provided may vary or change at the discretion of Eskilz College. Eskilz College will formally notify learners of any changes or variations.