This qualification has been developed to assist with standardization across the furniture industry. This will allow persons to achieve recognition as a furniture finisher and lay a foundation for future career advancement across similar trades and to supervisory and management qualifications within the sector.
The combination of learning outcomes that comprise this qualification will provide the qualifying learner with vocational knowledge and skills appropriate to the context of furniture manufacturing. The learner will have an understanding of the furniture industry and how he or she should operate within the legislative, safety and quality systems which govern the workplace. It will also equip learners with a foundation for further intellectual development, opportunities for gainful employment and reward for contributions to society.
This qualification has been developed for mobility across similar trades within the furniture industry.
This qualification will allow learners access to the National Certificate in Furniture Making (Specialism) at NQF level 4, as well as providing a foundation for learning in the construction industry in the area of carpentry and joinery – vertical and horizontal articulation.
The structure of the qualification allows a worker in the furniture industry to gain skills in any or all of the four key disciplines (wood machining, cabinet making, finishing, upholstery) without the need for a separate qualification – horizontal articulation.
Horizontal articulation also exists with National Certificates in other furniture manufacturing trades, for example Coffin Making.
TYPE OF PROGRAMME
- Full time
The learner is required to have a Minimum Grade 11. Must able to speak and write in English.
All learning material included in tuition fees.
Course Fee: R13340.00
- All processes are monitored and checked for optimum performance, and any problems are dealt with or referred to the appropriate authority.
2. All processes are performed according to Health & Safety legislation and organizational requirements, and unsafe work practices are identified and corrected.
3. All machinery and equipment is used safely and appropriately, in line with all organizational standards for quality, production and safety.
4. Work area, tools, equipment and materials are prepared according to requirements of drawings and specifications, the work area is kept clean, tidy and safe, and all organizational housekeeping procedures are correctly observed.
5. All processes are carried out as per organizational and international standards and requirements and within the specified time.
- Formative assessments conducted during the learning process will consist primarily of demonstrations, with some written tests and assignments. The purpose of formative assessment is to diagnose learner strengths and weaknesses and to determine readiness for summative assessment.
The summative assessment would consist of written tests and accompanying assignments, case studies and practical demonstrations. Summative assessments would only be conducted once the learner has indicated that he/she is ready to undergo summative assessment.
Before qualifying, learners will be expected to demonstrate competence in a practical situation that integrates the assessment of all specific outcomes, for all unit standards.
The integrated assessment provides learners with an opportunity to display an ability to integrate practical performance, actions, concepts and theory across unit standards to achieve competence in relation to the purpose of this qualification.
In particular, assessors should check that the learner is able to demonstrate the ability to consider a range of options and make decisions about:
- The quality of the observed practical performance as well as the theory and underpinning knowledge behind it.
- The different methods that can be used by the learner to display thinking and decision making in the demonstration of practical performance.
- Reflexive competencies
On successful completion of course, the learner will receive a certificate
The information provided may vary or change at the discretion of Eskilz College. Eskilz College will formally notify learners of any changes or variations.