Purpose of the Qualification:
This qualification provides learners with a comprehensive base of portable skills that will enable them to progress within all spheres of the horticultural industry. This qualification forms an integral step in the career paths of the various disciplines in ornamental horticulture and follows on from the NQF Level 1 Certificate. For those already employed in the industry, this qualification will offer learners the opportunity to hone their skills and receive recognition for their competencies.
A Learner achieving this qualification will be able to work effectively and productively within the field of horticulture knowing how to:
- Identify the major soil types and their uses in plant propagation and landscaping.
- Utilise manual irrigation systems to provide the correct application of water to plants.
- Produce ornamental plants from stem cuttings.
- Apply pest control practices in plant production and landscaping.
- Utilise the principles and practices of providing plant care and nutrition for ornamental plants and landscapes.
- Recognition of common ornamental plants and their uses for those wishing to enter the industry, whether unemployed or as an Entrepreneur, this qualification offers a solid foundation in all aspects of the horticultural industry. This qualification represents a vital step in the development of a career and learning pathway of individuals, both from a vocational point of view, as well as from a learning point of view.Rationale of the Qualification:South Africa is renowned as an ideal tourist destination. The beauty of the gardens and landscapes in leisure facilities, parks and gardens, is an important factor in assuring that South Africa is considered a prime tourist attraction. To advance and improve our position in this important economic area the “Green Industry” must up-skill its workforce, for the creation of excellent landscapes.
The provision and maintenance of sports fields to world class standards is a perquisite for the 2010 World Cup Soccer tournament. This qualification addresses the industry’s need to provide the basic skills to establish and maintain sports turf facilities.
The skills gained through this qualification will ensure that quality ornamental plants will be produced and marketed to the consumers.
The qualification will facilitate job creation and self-employment opportunities, while furthering the aims of economic empowerment in South Africa.
The qualification includes the skills necessary to safely use various chemicals, including fuels, fertilisers, pest control agents, accordingly, the principles of health and safety are embedded in all the learning aspects of the qualification.
As the core is generic to all sectors of the horticultural industry, the qualification embodies the principle of portability and is integral to further learning. Through the wide scope of electives, the specialisations of the various sectors are catered for.
The sectors of the horticultural industry that will benefit from this qualification include:
- Landscape construction and maintenance.
- Amenity horticulture.
- Sports turf.
- Plant propagation.
- Interior plantscaping.
- Retail nurseries.
TYPE OF PROGRAMME:
- Full time
The learner is required to have a minimum of Grade 12.
All learning material included in tuition fees.
Qualification Fee: R12550
On successful completion of qualification, the learner will receive a certificate