PURPOSE AND RATIONALE OF THE QUALIFICATION
|The purpose of this qualification is to allow Junior Personnel and elected candidates to progress towards a position of farm labourers (operators) with specific reference to Mixed Farming systems. The contextualized purpose and usage of the qualification is as follows:
· A learner assessed against this qualification will have the necessary competence to participate as part of a working team, performing the agricultural processes as applicable to both Plant- and Animal Production in an established and familiar context under general supervision.
· The Learner will be able to perform directed activities and take responsibility for the guiding others at lower level within a Mixed Farming context.
· Competency will be gained in a combination of the sub-fields of Plant and Animal Production as specified under Areas Of Specialization (i.e. Small Stock, Large Stock as well as Vegetables, Fruit Production, Hydroponics, etc.)
· The learner will be able to take responsible decisions within a familiar range based on a sound understanding of the basic principles of agri-business and good agricultural practices, in meeting the set objectives and targets within the broader farm plan which includes the economical application of general resources, agricultural production and technical knowledge and skills, all in Mixed Farming context.
· The Learner will be able to carry out familiar procedures in a limited environment and will be able to adhere to the relevant safety, quality, hygiene and technical standards as applicable within the industry.
· In addition to the above, the learner will be well positioned to extend learning and practice into other sub-fields such as Plant Production and Animal Production, since such efforts will only require additional learning within the elective scope of other qualifications at this level.
· The learner will be well positioned to progress towards higher levels of Management and Technical production practices as defined by qualifications at the next level.
· Learners will be enabled to actively participate in the Primary Agricultural Sector through the production of quality agricultural products, enhancing the overall agricultural process and gain opportunities to access local, national and international agricultural markets.
· This qualification will allow qualifying learners to become economically active in farming practices that will have a direct impact on Local Economic Development through the production of food, the improvement of household food security and access to mainstream agriculture.
· Finally, Learners will be able to guide and direct others in terms of the implementation of smaller development projects within Mixed Farming context.
· Junior farm labourers who wish to progress to the level of Labourer within farming operations in Plant Production;
· Farm owners, in possession of an equivalent qualification at NQF 1;
· Learners in possession of different levels of practical experience in farming operations, which will be assessed and RPL’ed;
· Possible candidates for promotion identified by the community as leaders.
· Learners may come from both genders.
TYPE OF PROGRAMME
- Full time
The learner is required to have a minimum of Grade 10. Must able to speak and write in English.
All learning material included in tuition fees.
Course Fee: R12 550.00
On successful completion of course, the learner will receive a certificate
The information provided may vary or change at the discretion of Eskilz College. Eskilz College will formally notify learners of any changes or variations.